14 January 2009

Touch N Go Scam


Ive been using the Touch n Go card for quite some time, and never had much issues with it. Ive found it really useful especially with the SmartTag device. This is a rant about the little interaction I have with Touch n Go Sdn Bhd, and why they suck.

A few weeks ago, I got denied entry with a bizzare message "Kad Tamat Tempoh". I never new TnG cards could expire! Because of this, I was inconvenienced in having to queue up and pay cash in the manual toll booths. The problem was that whenever I use any toll booths, its either after work hours, or the TnG offices would be at the opposite side of the road.

So this morning, I decided to spend two trips around the Ulu Klang Elevated Highway (thats 2 x RM1.50) just to get to an open TnG office. I asked the lady at the counter if she can renew my expired card, and she said sure. Just fill in a form. Great.

So while I was doing that, she punched in some stuff in her keyboard, and when I was done, she handed me a shiny new TnG card. Hooray, I thought, that was relatively painless.

Until I looked at the receipt:
Sorry about the bad pic, but thats the best my phone could do.
Old card No: 00000000000
Old Mfg No: 0488145330

New Card No: 601464000xxxx
New Mfg No: 1832xxxxxxx

Old Card Balance: 70.75
Old Deposit:15.00
Amount Forfeited: 0.00
Card Price: 10.00
New Card Balance: 70.75

Warranty Expires om 1/13/2010
What was interesting was that there was a Card Price! WHAT? I just needed them to extend my card expiry! So I asked the lady what was this about. She said that
"its standard policy, and instead of taking money, we've deduct it from the Deposit amount."
"Gee thanks, but it doesn't explain why you have deducted RM10 in the first place"
"A new card costs RM10"
"But I've just given you my old card to exchange!"
"Ive given you a new card"
"Its your own companies arbitrary expiry ..."
"Yes, the card expires after 10 years."
"So when does this card expire?"
... she checks the computer and says:
"on 17th April 2016"
"But thats just over 8 years from now: Whats this about 10 years?"
" .... "
"What's this about returning my deposit? My Old Balance was 70, you deduct 10, so why isnt my new balance 75?"
"No, I entered the old balance for you. Previously it was 65"
... I have no way of verifying this. *grrr* Why doesnt the receipt correctly read what it should read? Why can there be manipulation on their end?
"So who can I talk to about this?"
"You can call the Customer Hotline below ... "
"No, do you have a manager?"
"No, we are just resellers ... I too have to call the hotline when I need help"
WTF

So it looked like I was not going to get anywhere with this drone. I then checked their website, and found this helpful warning:

This is consistent with my experience, so I just would like to know why TnG charges for a new card in the first place. A deposit model is almost bearable. Considering that people will be loading these pieces of plastic with their own money, if they lose it or abuse it, then its their fault and their monies should be forfeitted. The "loss" to TnG is minimal if not at all: they gain when people do silly things with their cards.

So what justifies them charging people for using their tickets? Do credit card companies charge for cards? Do LRT companies charge for those paper tickets? No! The cost of the tokens are covered by the services paid for by the consumer.

Its completely unjustified to charge for something which would arbirarily "expire" after a few years.

Plus what is the story about reducing the expiry date to 8 years? The warning merely says "give you more years of driving", and doesnt quantify the next round of expiring cards.

I checked my MyKad (as I've loaded a few RM in it for LRT usage) and she said that it expires in 2050. Er ... why should there be an expiry at all? What is going to happen in 2050 when everyone's MyKads "expire" because of a third party? Will there be IC counters at all TnG outlets while they "exchange" cards again? Gah.

On speaking to my colleagues, it seems Touch N Go have other scams which they run. They have a loyalty card which refunds 5% off your toll usage. However there are hoops to jump through. These refunds only kick in IF you use more than RM200 per month! My colleague who lives in Klang and therefore pays more toll than an average KLite, says that he barely makes this "quota". Some months like February and holiday filled months make him miss the alloted amount, and he loses out on the RM10 rebate. In addition, there is an annual membership fee of RM20. Plus you have to physically go to an outlet to redeem your rebates. It renders the "loyalty card" completely useless, if not frustrating.

So Touch N Go, what are you up to really? Your "Quality Statement" says that:
TNGSB aims to enhance customer satisfaction by complying with the requirement of the Quality Management System (QMS) and continually improving the effectiveness of QMS
I have no idea what this QMS is nor what it defines but judging from my interaction, I'd say it can be very spectacular.

Also, why is it that when we use TnG in carparks, its costs more? Are you charging the carpark operators a surcharge on the traffic? These shortsighted scams of yours certainly hinders on your Mission Statement:
To provide secure, swift and convenient cashless payment mode to all
Pfft.

Ten years on, and we don't have a cashless card as prevalent as Singapore's or Hong Kongs. With 3rd World mentality like TnG, you'd just have to wonder why.

Yes, its a rant, and Im pissed.

yk