8 August 2006

SequoiaView - Graphical View of Hard Disk Usage

When I first got my new notebook, I had a 40GB hard disk on my desktop. The Notebook came with a 80GB and I thought to myself, "Finally, I'd never run out of disk space". Fastforward one and a half years, and I've run out of hard disk space. Sod's law.

So how do I make space on my hard disk now? ALL the applications I have installed, and ALL the data I have downloaded or created are surely invaluable! Should I get a bigger hard disk? I hear the new 120GB drives are out, at only RM450 or so...

Or should I do some spring cleaning?

Anyway, an invaluable tool is this one: SequoiaView.
"Ever wondered why your hard disk is full? Or what directory is taking up most of the space? When using conventional disk browsing tools, such as Windows Explorer, these questions may be hard to answer. With SequoiaView however, they can be answered almost immediately. SequoiaView uses a visualization technique called cushion treemaps to provide you with a single picture of the entire contents of your hard drive."


Basically it displays the usage of your hard disk graphically and at once you can remove that 696MB Knoppix ISO which you downloaded 6 months ago. Immediately you'd have freed up a substantial amount of space.

Unfortunately its relatively old, in that the last release v1.3 was in 2002. So don't expect anything fancy from this site. But its still pretty useful and does its job.

Dowload here (~500KB) [Free-beer]

yk.